Saturday, 16 March 2013

Going Inside

I leveled my eye. The beast looked straight back at me. The hero stood in my front, sword naked in his hand, while I notched an arrow in my bow.
He circled the beast from one side. I ran up to a higher ground to get a better aim. The hide was of the creature was strong enough to block attacks from the finest warrior wielding the strongest sword, but the body was not my target. I held my weapon ready for the perfect opportune moment. A bead of sweat trickled down my forehead. I had one shot at this, probably my only shot.

I was aiming for its eye.
The creature opened its mouth in a snarl, showing teeth the size of the highest trees. The hero did not even flinch as spittle came out from the beast's open maw. He drew a short breath and set his jaw. Crying an unearthly shriek, he lunged forward, aiming for the open mouth of the beast. Using his momentum, he drove his sword through the beast's tongue.
The monster howled in agony and anger. He shook his great head this way and that, in an attempt to dislodge the blade. The hero lost his grip on the sword, and his body flew like a rag doll and hit a nearby tree. He went slack, but I could see him breathing very slowly still. He was only knocked out.
I breathed a small sigh of relief, then steadied my arrow. This was the moment I was waiting for.
As the beast turned to my direction, I sucked in my breath. I could feel the tension building in the string, screaming to let go of the arrow, and finish this battle. The minutes seemed to slow down. I gently breathed out and-

Something jerked around me. I looked up and stared around wildly, trying to gather my thoughts. It took me a moment to realize the truth.

I was reading a book on the bus on my way home.


2 comments:

Got a quick question? Ask!

Name

Email *

Message *