Monday, 30 July 2012

The Letter from Hogwarts


I was thirteen when I started reading the Harry potter series. I distinctly remember the day I bought my first Harry Potter book. It was ‘The Goblet of Fire’. I bought it from a sky-train station at Bangkok, Thailand. My life changed from that day.
And I never looked back.

And though I never admitted, secretly, like thousands of other Potterheads, I wished I would get a letter too.
The letter that would be my one way ticket to Hogwarts, and everything magical.
But the years went by, and no letter came. Not a single owl at night, pecking at my window. I gave up hope of ever seeing that envelope bearing the Hogwarts crest. I sullenly realized that I am a muggle, and will remain so.
Now I am twenty seven, and I am at the hospital. I am somewhat nervous.
I have given birth to my child.
The nurse comes and hands her over it to me. I carefully take her. Words fail me as I look in wonder and awe. I carefully touch her face, her small button nose, her tightly squeezed eyes, and her slightly parted mouth.
She is all ours, mine and my husband’s.
The nurse gently nudges me. ‘This was in her crib when I went to get her. It’s addressed to you.’ She hands me a yellowish envelope.
My heart stops beating for a second.
The envelope is sealed with red wax, bearing a coat of arms. A lion, a snake, an eagle and a badger all surround the letter ‘H’.
I know that crest.
Holding my child securely, I open the letter. I notice that my fingers are shaking.
Dear Mrs. _____’ the letter says.

We have been quite aware of your longing to join the esteemed Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. However, we were unable to fulfil your wish as you were a muggle. Though we understand that you were saddened at the prospect of never seeing Hogwarts, we wish to congratulate you, for today you have performed the greatest magic ever known to wizards, witches and muggles alike.
And you are holding her at this very instant.
Congratulations on your motherhood, and I hope you will pass this wish on to your husband as well.

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall,
Headmistress

Tears filled my eyes. After such a long wait, I finally received my letter from Hogwarts.
Miracles do exist after all.

6 comments:

  1. I'm really surprised that nobody commented on this wonderful piece of writing. Arshie, this is the most heart-touching writing. It really brought tears to my eyes. This is just AWESOME!

    Ammu

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is absolutely beautiful. every single part of it. i love the structure and how it flows in the beigning and then how it speeds up a bit and becomes a bit choppy to mirror the feelings.
    -Hera :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hera :D
      This came to me as one of those spur-of-the-moment things.

      Delete
  3. WOW! As I started reading I was pretty sure I knew what would follow but no, I was completely taken by surprise. This is truly beautiful, your writing is honestly so unique.
    Can't wait for the day your books are on the shelves :D
    -Nawal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I really appreciate the comment!

      Delete
  4. a genuine harry potter lover! each of your piece are unique! and you have a deep inner eye to see and feel!

    ReplyDelete

Got a quick question? Ask!

Name

Email *

Message *