Saturday, 11 February 2012

The Night I Flew

One night, when the sky was dark and half the world was asleep, I flew.

It had been a very hectic week, full of classes, assignments, quizzes and labs. I had two days off, but they were spent in group studies and discussions.
That day, I returned home in the afternoon, feeling tired and sleepy. Midterms were coming up, but my mind was elsewhere. They did not want to be confined in the pages of the Calculus book. Actually, I doubted if my mind wanted to settle down on anything particular. It had been like that for quite some time now.

Restless.
Frustrated.
Upset.
Uncertain.
A feeling of hopelessness and loneliness loomed on my mind. The feeling darkened and dampened my poor heart, which was already full to the brim with its own share of sadness. I had a dreaded feeling that it will not be able to hold on much longer.
I decided to call my friend.
Picking up my cell phone, I dialed her number and waited. I could hear it ringing, but she did not pick up. Sighing, I put the phone down. She must be busy. I decided to send her a text.
After that, I sat in front of my computer. Somewhere at the back of my mind, a little voice reminded me that I have midterm coming up. I ignored it, for the tenth time.
I logged on to Facebook. After browsing for a few minutes, I got irritated for no apparent reason.
I check my phone. Still no reply from my friend. I hope she has not forgotten me.
I heard shouting from the other room. They are fighting again.
I checked my email inbox. I was hoping to see some sort of confirmation mail from the a certain university in abroad that I had applied to. I have already been rejected twice from them. But this time, I was hoping to get an approval. Waiting for the confirmation letter was beginning to make me weary. But as I checked the recent mails in my inbox, yet again I saw that they had not replied. I felt like giving up.
My friend still had not replied.
For some reason, my heart was getting heavier and heavier. I felt like I was carrying a burden inside me. I found it difficult to breathe properly. I felt trapped.
Trapped inside this house. Inside my body. Inside my mind. I did not what to do. But of one thing I was certain.
I wanted to fly.
And be free.
The next thing I knew, I was standing on the rooftop of our apartment. How I got there, I have no idea. I vaguely remember taking the elevator, and then climbing some stairs.
I stood on the top of the low brick wall at the edge of the rooftop. The cold breeze that flew felt refreshing to my hot face. I closed my eyes.
Such a night was perfect for flying.
And fly, I shall.
I embraced the cold air with my arms wide open, feeling the wall move away from underneath my feet. Wind rustled through my hair. My body felt lighter than a feather.
And thus, I flew.
Into oblivion.
Then darkness fell upon me, and I knew of nothing more.

THE END.

5 comments:

  1. interesting !! I like your writing style..!! =D and about the call you tried to make, I think u usually call the wrong person at the right time.. =) think it through !! whom u shall call ? or who will receive your call no matter what !!

    but anyways, good writing !! me loved it reading.. (Y)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I really appreciate your reading my post. Thanks a lot! :D

      Delete
  2. no biggie !! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. best piece so far -- both in content and writing style.
    but...did i read this before?
    and...was the friend by any chance me? :-S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ebony! It was actually an old piece that I wrote long ago. And yes, you did read this before. I think I showed it you for you to read.

      Delete

Got a quick question? Ask!

Name

Email *

Message *